UNESCO Tanzania Jobs 2022
POST TITLE: PROJECT ASSISTANT
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Dar-es-Salaam
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : External candidates
Application Deadline : 23-02-2022
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) is implementing a project whose purpose is to improve the sexual and reproductive health (SRH) outcomes of adolescents and young people (10‐24 years) in the United Republic of Tanzania through increased access to high quality, age-appropriate and gender transformative sexual and reproductive health education and services. UNESCO hereby seeks applications from qualified candidates for the position of Project Assistant. The incumbent will be based in Dar es Salaam. This is a Service Contract for an initial period of one year, which may be extended based on the availability of funding and the candidate’s performance. The appointment is subject to six-month probation. The salary is in accordance with UNESCO scales.
II. Duties and requirements
Under the overall authority of the Head of UNESCO Dar es Salaam Office, and the National Programme Officer, the incumbent will:
- Pro-actively contribute to day-to-day project implementation and ensure conformity to expected results and project work plans;
- Assist in the coordination of project-related administrative and financial matters;
- Provide support to administrative and logistical arrangements for meetings, workshops, and courses in connection with the Project.
- Establish and maintain an organized filing system for all financial and administrative related project issues
- Assist in maintaining accounting records of project finance transactions and performance for all resources by providing necessary financial information and analysis, including implementation rate against indicators and results
- Ensure that all resources are adequately accounted for on regular basis, including settling of acquittals.
- Ensure financial reports and requests are supported by original receipts, invoices or payment statements and timely submitted to the Finance and Administration Office and follow-up close of the activity/contract.
- Review procurement requests and initiate procurement procedures of EHW projects equipment, supplies, and services in a transparent and cost-effective manner
- Assist in the coordination of equipment maintenance and insurance as required;
- Ensure that contractual processes follow the stipulated UNESCO procedures;
- Clear and ensure delivery of equipment and supplies procured for a project;
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
- Accountability (C)
- Communication (C)
- Innovation (C)
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
- Planning and organizing (C)
- Results focus (C)
- Teamwork (C)
- A university degree in a relevant social sciences field, such as project management, economics, finance, accounting, or administration.
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience, in administrative work and accounting/finance is required
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling web-based management systems.
- Fluency (oral and written) in English and Swahili.
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work especially in the UN will be an added advantage.